This baked lemon blueberry oatmeal blends the oats creating a cake-like texture. If you prefer a sweeter breakfast, this is almost like having dessert for breakfast. That being said, if you want to skip the blending it will still turn out as well, the oats are just more in-tact.
Oats are my favourite affordable whole grain staples. This gut-friendly food packs fibre, vitamins, and antioxidants. Oats are very versatile you can make them overnight, warm, in smoothies or baked. By switching up how you serve oatmeal, it can avoid getting sick of them.
Do you struggle to eat breakfast during the week? This recipe makes a great prep ahead breakfast and can be quickly reheated in the microwave for busy weekday mornings.
Although this baked lemon blueberry oatmeal is simple, it is also a delicious brunch item to serve to guests. If you are serving to someone with Celiac disease be sure to choose certified gluten free oats.
Oatmeal is a filling option, and pairing it with some protein like greek yogurt can help to keep you full most of the morning.
Baked Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted or butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup optional
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a blender, pulse oats until a fine flour consistency forms.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats and baking powder.
- In a small bowl combine the milk, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, and extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Add the blueberries mixing gently until combined.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt, whip cream, nuts
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days, and can be reheated in the microwave.
Find more family friendly recipes here