Applesauce overnight oats are a quick, filling fall breakfast for the whole family. You can top with apples, pumpkin seeds and peanut butter.
Importantly, the beauty with overnight oats is they can be prepped the night before. First, mix the ingredients. Second, simply refrigerate overnight in a sealed container, and finally enjoy them the next morning. They can be enjoyed cold, with a pudding-like texture or you can microwave them if you wish.
How long do overnight oats last?
Overnight oats can last for up to 5 days in your refrigerator, I usually find they are best enjoyed within 3 days. This means you can prep your breakfast for a few days at a time.
Are overnight oats safe for toddlers?
Yes, overnight oats can be safe for the whole family. In this recipe, just be sure if you are serving apples with the oat mixture, that you grate the apples for young children as apples are a common choking hazard for children under 4 years old.
Applesauce Overnight Oats Ingredients
- Rolled oats: you can use any variety of rolled oats. Steel cut oats won’t absorb enough of the liquid for this recipe.
- Chia seeds: chia seeds add a boost of fibre, healthy fats, amongst other nutrition benefits. If you don’t enjoy the texture, you can use ground chia or flax seed.
- Applesauce: you can purchase unsweetened applesauce or make your own. Tip: if you make your own, leave the skins on for more nutrition benefit (and a pink hue).
- Milk: you can use cow’s milk, soy milk or any milk alternative.
- Pumpkin seeds: add fibre, healthy fats and magnesium.
For more family friendly recipes, look here
Applesauce Overnight Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 apple chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds optional
- 1 tbsp peanut butter optional
- Mix together the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, applesauce, milk and honey.
- Add mixture to two mason jars, or other sealed containers of choice and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with your choice of chopped apples, peanut butter, and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy cold or warm up in the microwave.